Monday, November 23, 2009

I'm (on my way) back!

I've been a neglectful blogger these last few weeks. But I'm back now, brushing off the cobwebs, getting ready to talk some more. I'd like to tell you that I've been in a warm, tropical place on vacation, and that's why I haven't written, but the truth is that I've been in a much darker place than Key Largo or Ibiza.

My old friend, the depression that has plagued me since my teens, has been visiting again. And he is the worst kind of guest: he pops in with no warning, plops his bags down in your living room, and has a seat, fingers laced behind his head and (dirty) boots on your coffee table.

Hrumph.

For the last few weeks, I've been following him around and forgetting myself , my friends, and my family. But you know what? I think I'm finally getting up the gumption to give him the boot.

I hate to be rude, Depression, but I've got a lot of reasons to be feeling good right now. I've got new furniture, that while cheap and oversized for my teeny house, makes me feel comfy and cozy. I've got my favorite time of year starting up as we speak: Nathan's 3rd birthday (today!), Thanksgiving, Christmas, and then the girls' birthdays following soon after. It's a festive time, and I refuse to be bogged down in your bullshit. (Pardon my French.)

So. I'm going to start ignoring my dark, heavy houseguest and start focusing more on the things that make me feel good. Like doing stuff. (That sounds dumb, but I swear that when you have depression, it can be really, really hard to do anything. And the less you do, of course, the worse you feel.) And like listening to Putemayo Kids CDs. And blogging. And cutting way back on the comfort-eating crackers and Wispride cheese habit that makes me feel lethargic and, oh yeah, fat.

And I think I'm getting a little of my mojo back even now as I type. I'm feeling confident and strong (and I haven't even had my coffee yet). This time, I'm going to get rid of my unwelcome houseguest all by myself, without having to call in my big cousin Lexapro to kick him out. Hyyyyy-yah!*


*Yes, that was supposed to be the sound of me doing karate chops at Depression.

8 comments:

  1. Whew! I missed you! No more 2 week breaks! (I know that sounds selfish but I seriously really look forward to your blog posts!) Hope that damn visitor is leaving with much haste...nothing worse than when someone overstays their welcome! (I have depression too...but I like/need my drugs at this point)
    HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Liz! Wouldn't it be nice if we lived closer to each other? Then we could be resolutely un-depressed together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hyyy-ah indeed! You show Depression that you're the boss. I am so impressed that you can write about this in such an open and honest manner; I'm no professional, but I bet that's a sign of your strength!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like asshat, also assbag and fucknut :)
    I'm glad you are feeling a little better aready! This is the best time of year for feeling good and enjoying life, so I'd lock that punkass D in a closet. And Happy Birthday to Nathan :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmm it seems like your website ate my first comment (it was extremely
    long) so I guess I'll just sum it up what I had written and say, I'm thoroughly enjoying your blog.
    I as well am an aspiring blog writer but I'm still new to everything. Do you have any recommendations for first-time blog writers? I'd definitely
    appreciate it.

    Feel free to surf to my web blog :: January Portis

    ReplyDelete